The Results are in… Devon is Crowned the Best County in the UK
Stay at Bovey Castle in Celebration
The Devonshire Decision
Devon has always been a popular destination to visit. It is well-known for its breathtaking coastlines, medieval villages, and inspiring landscapes. Telegraph Travel experts have named Devon as England's greatest county and after a few trips to Bovey Castle, nestled in the rolling valleys of Dartmoor National Park, we couldn’t agree more. According to their methodology, Devon scored a total of 828 points, a 79-point lead ahead of second place. The list compared the 48 counties across four categories including 'Natural Wonders', 'History & Culture', 'Luxuries', and 'Peace & Quiet' – all of which Devon thrive in.
UK Breaks are Here to Stay
The UK staycation trend is here to stay with major influences driving this decision such as concerns on lowering carbon footprint and staff shortages causing delays at airports. Booking a hotel just a few hours’ drive away to recharge the batteries, seems like a sensible decision. GoCompare reports that the biggest percentage increase in the type of holiday planned from last year, are those who are unsure what type of holiday they’ll take and will chose a different break such as a staycation, this has risen from 12% to 41%.
Door to Door on Four Wheels
With many airport delays and train strikes, travellers can take things into their own hands and get behind the wheel. From whatever direction guests comes from, driving to Bovey Castle is an adventure in itself. Of course, it depends on what direction you are coming from, but drivers can expect a combination of sheltered coastal bays, craggy cliffs leading down to the sea and wild, remote Dartmoor National Park whilst exploring the nearby areas around Bovey Castle. The four wheel journey can be continued at the 750 acre estate with the Off Road Driving Experience at Bovey Castle. This exciting adrenaline activity gives thrill seekers the opportunity to get the heart pumping as you handle the 4x4 Land Rover 110 Defenders around the timber extraction tracks in the outer-estate woodlands, experiencing incredible views over the moors.
• One Hour off road drive experience: From £75 per person when sharing or £150 for a solo drive.
• Spring Stay: Two nights from £319 per room per night, based on two people sharing a classic room on a B&B basis including one dinner at Smith’s Brasserie. £50 resort credit. 1st March – 31st May. T&Cs apply.
• February Half Term Adventure Lodge: Two nights from £772 per lodge, per night, based on 6 people sharing on a self-catered basis. Includes one breakfast hamper, access to hotel facilities, additional activities mentioned in the link. Valid until 18th February. T&Cs apply.
• Relax & Reset Well-Being Retreat: From £399 per room per night, based on a midweek escape for two people, sharing a Classic Room on a B&B basis. Includes 25-minute Elan Spa treatment each, ESPA Restful Pulse Point Oil and Pillow Mist. Valid until 31st March. T&Cs apply.
• Romantic Valentine Break: Two nights from £829 per couple for two nights on a half-board basis. Includes bottle of Veuve Clicquot Champagne and a box of chocolates. Valid until 18th February. T&Cs apply.